Il Conservatorio di San Pietro in Colle di Val d’Elsa
Volume 11 (2016)
The Conservatory of San Pietro is a Renaissance structure built at the end of the sixteenth century, when Colle Val d'Elsa was elevated to the rank of city and bishopric (1592). It was dedicated to St. Peter by its founder, Pietro Usimbardi, and was completed on March 6, 1606. It is composed of a church, two cloisters and a siding with the New Door of the city.
Originally built as a convent, during the centuries it has become a Conservatory (a college for poor girls) and then a high school, up to the present use as the headquarters of Intercultura and museum center.